Decorating your home is wonderfully fun and exciting, and at the same time, can be overwhelming and confusing. Before beginning a design project (i.e. before making Pinterest boards, before bookmarking magazines, and definitely before splurging on a piece of furniture), I recommend getting clear on your vision for the space. To do this, ask yourself these 3 questions for each room you would like to decorate:
- How do you use/would you like to use the space?
- How would you like to feel in the space?
- What furniture/aspects of the room can you change, and what should remain unchanged?
By answering these questions, you will:
- prioritze what needs to be done/updated now and what could/should wait until you have more time/money/help, etc.
- budget more accurately!
- instantly recognize where your previous design scheme was lacking, and conversely, how to fix this in an efficient way
- be able to pick an overall theme for the space; based on your wants/needs. This helps to ensure your finished space has a feeling of coherence and functions correctly for your life.
This process may take you anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so, depending on the size of the project; time well spent though, as a clear vision makes designing so much fun!
I created this free PDF Download to make the process even easier! Simply print the pages you need and fill in your answers 🙂
Go forth and design with confidence! x claire